The Awesome Stress Buster – Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
The health benefits of Ashwagandha are immense. Ashwagandha, Winter Cherry, Withania Somnifera or Indian Ginseng whatever you call it; this miraculous herb is known for its many health benefits and is considered being nature’s gift to humanity. This herb is a powerful aphrodisiac, rejuvenator, and nerve tonic and boosts overall immunity.
Researches conducted on this magnificent herb have shown that Ashwagandha offers significant health benefits but is best known for its potent adaptogenic properties, meaning that it helps mind and body adapt better to stress. It is also well known for its immune-enhancing benefits.
15 Health Benefits of Ashwagandha!
- Ashwagandha is perfect for those who suffer from stress and anxiety as it inhibits high levels of cortisol, ‘the stress hormone’. It helps in relieving physical and mental stress and overcome depression. Ashwagandha helps promote relaxation as it is a natural adaptogen. It nourishes the nerves and improves nerve function to help you maintain calm during stressful situations. It helps in providing nourishment to the brain for its better function and greater ability to work and is known as a mood-boosting herb.
- Ashwagandha translates to “smell of a horse”, in Sanskrit. It is believed that a person who consumes Ashwagandha will gain horse-like strength and vitality. In Ayurveda, Ashwagandha is referred to as Balya, which means giving strength in conditions like general debility. It is known to improve energy, increase stamina and endurance and fight fatigue. It nourishes all the body tissues, including the joints, bones, and nerves. It is also good for people who do physical labour or exercise a lot, to help the body adapt to physical stress.
- Ashwagandha is a promising remedy for a variety of degenerative mental diseases and can promote the growth of nerve cells and protect the brain cells from the harmful effects.
- Ashwagandha is used as an aphrodisiac as well since it supports sexual health. Ashwagandha had aphrodisiac properties, and people use it as a medication to improve vitality and fertility. It also helps in increasing sperm count and even the quality of sperms.
- Ashwagandha acts as a general body tonic; it makes you stronger and healthier. It is one of the essential ingredients of Chyawanprash (Ayurvedic preparation for immunity, health, and vitality). In addition to boosting your overall immunity, Ashwagandha also acts as an anti-cancer agent as it slows the growth of cancerous tumors.
- Ashwagandha also acts on the endocrine system by encouraging hormone balance. It helps in reducing hot flashes and mood swings during menopause.
- The health benefits of Ashwagandha and its rejuvenating properties make it very useful in treating insomnia. It calms the nervous system, eases stress and gets rid of sleeplessness.
- Ashwagandha is an excellent source of antioxidants. Its potent antioxidant properties help protect the skin against free radical damage and slow down the aging process. Its antioxidant properties help in avoiding symptoms of early aging thus helps in enhancing the sexual powers and long-lasting endurance. Ashwagandha is known in Ayurveda for its wound healing abilities.
- Ashwagandha has been found to be useful in improving muscular strength. It is a powerful Rasayana, meaning that it acts as an overall tonic for greater vitality and longevity.
- Ashwagandha increases the count of white blood cells and prepares the body to produce antigens against various infections and allergies
- Ashwagandha’s anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-stress and anticarcinogenic properties are good for cardiovascular health problems. It strengthens the heart muscles and can also control cholesterol.
- The root of the plant is used for treating digestive disorders like dyspepsia and loss of appetite.
- Ashwagandha is beneficial in the treatment of respiratory disorders. It has hormone balancing, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties which can prevent and treat some diseases.
- Ashwagandha has been found to be effective in dealing with a variety of rheumatologic problems. The herb is known to act as a cyclooxygenase inhibitor that decreases inflammation and pain.
- Ashwagandha is a boon when it comes to improving the health of your thyroid as it is incredibly effective in balancing hormones.
Rich in antioxidants, iron, and amino acids, it’s no surprise that Ashwagandha is one of the most powerful herbs in Ayurvedic healing.
If you want to reap the health benefits of Ashwagandha, you can take 500 mg – 1000 mg daily before you go to bed or after breakfast. Ashwagandha root extract can be taken in the form of powder or tablet.