Strawberries – Nutrition and health benefits
Low in calories and high in fiber this wonderful fruit offers many health benefits which include good eye health, optimal brain function, normal blood pressure and protection from cardiovascular diseases.
Rich in antioxidants, Strawberries have many other nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that contribute to overall health. These include folate, potassium, manganese, dietary fiber, and magnesium. Strawberries are also extremely high in vitamin C. Packed with essential vitamins and minerals; they are low in sodium, cholesterol and fat-free.
They also contain significant amounts of phytonutrients and flavonoids
Strawberries Nutritional Facts (100 Grams)
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Total Fat||0.30 g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber||2.0 g||5%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.125 mg||2.50%|
|Vitamin A||12 IU||0.50%|
|Vitamin C||58.8 mg||98%|
|Vitamin E||0.29 mg||2%|
|Vitamin K||2.2 µg||2%|
|(Source: USDA National Nutrient database)|
Strawberries Health Benefits
- The high amount of Vitamin C, antioxidants and flavonoids in strawberries boosts our overall immunity and possess anti-ageing properties.
- Strawberries possess excellent anticarcinogenic properties. They fight cancer cells and suppress tumor growth.
- Rich in potassium and magnesium, Strawberries are effective in lowering high blood pressure. The fiber and potassium in strawberries also support heart health.
- High in fiber, folate, no fats, and high levels of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals in Strawberries Lower risk of cardiovascular diseases. Flavonoids found in berries, reduce the risk of a heart attack.
- Strawberries contain potassium, vitamin K, and magnesium which boost bone health.
- Strawberries are filled with biotin, which helps build strong hair and nails.
- Strawberries promote optimum eye health and lower the risk of macular degeneration.
- The flavonoid quercetin, contained in strawberries, may reduce the risk of atherosclerosis and protect against the damage caused by low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol.
- Strawberries contain powerful antioxidants that work against free radicals, inhibiting tumor growth, and decreasing inflammation in the body.
- Strawberries can help keep you hydrated and your bowel movements regular as its fiber content helps in adding bulk to the stool.
- Strawberries are excellent for people suffering from diabetes due to its low glycemic index value and high power content and help to regulate blood sugar.
- Strawberries are good for pregnant women as they are a rich source of Folic Acid. Folate is vital in the early stages of pregnancy for the development of the baby’s brain, skull, and spinal cord, and for the prevention of birth defects.
- Strawberries are great for skin as it possesses properties that eliminate dead skin cells and cleanses the skin and have skin-lightening properties. The antioxidants present in strawberries protect the skin from UV damage and also tones it. Use it as a face wash, scrub or face pack for a glowing and healthy skin and keep acne and pimples away.
- The rich variety of antioxidants and phytochemicals in strawberries help fight inflammatory disorders like osteoarthritis, asthma, and arthritis.
- In case you have puffy eyes, place strawberry slices under your eyes for 15 minutes and let the magic happen!
- Strawberries are low in sugar, calories and sodium, and fat-free. Their nitrate content promotes blood flow and oxygen throughout the body, resulting in weight loss.